Friday 28 June 2013

Alcohol and Depression

I'm writing this post of an evening where I am sat cosily with some music on the telly and a cider by my side. A pretty lovely evening really. I have a friend staying, he's playing with my pup and the other half is chilling out on the sofa opposite.

It has kinda made me think though. How much alcohol is a problem? Is alcohol even safe for a person suffering with depression?

So the research begins.  Apparently, people with alcohol problems have symptoms which are comparable with depression. Alcoholics have difficulties with fatigue, sleeping difficulties and poor appetite, etc. These symptoms mirror a person who is depressed. Alcohol can also cause low mood in itself as it is a depressant.  The question is do people suffering with depression tend to self-medicate with alcohol? I'm thinking that some people might. Between 5 and 10% of people suffering with depression also have problems with alcohol.  This can be a genetic connection (I have family members who have both suffered from alcoholism and depression).

I suppose I need to take steps towards changing my relationship with alcohol. Yesterday, I drank no alcohol. The day before I drank a whole bottle of wine to myself, but I did have company. It definitely does seem to be turning in to a habit. I think it's habit and for the mood lifting qualities (alcohol does briefly enhance your mood) but this is obviously counter-productive.

It seems really dangerous that the levels of antidepressant medication can be altered by alcohol.  It can increase the levels of the dose within your system as your liver becomes less able to process and alcohol and the medication.  Scary stuff. 

The NHS also has some advice on depression and alcohol. It seems to focus on alcoholism rather than depression though. It does have some scary stats.

Right, so now I'm going to go in the kitchen and pour the rest of my cider down the sink!!

sr x

No comments:

Post a Comment