Wednesday 26 June 2013

Baby Blues

There hits a point in a woman's life when suddenly the hormones take effect and the dream of having a family becomes a real aspiration.  I'm beginning to hit that point.  So when a woman decides she wants a baby what considerations should she take?

Is it safe to plan to conceive while suffering from depression? Is it wise and sensible? This is where it becomes a tricky issue. I feel so much better in myself. I feel like I'm functioning like a normal human being and my spark and bubbly personality is beginning to shine through. Thinking like this, considering I'm currently not working, I can see no reason why we can't begin to try for a baby.

Looking at this financially, we're already able to live on one wage. This is proven by the fact that I'm not working.

Next, my mental health. Am I really as stable as I give myself credit for? I like to think so. How do you really know though? My volunteering hasn't yet started so I haven't yet begun to challenge myself to get back in to a routine. Nine months time I can imagine I'll be perfectly fit and well.

The physical toll that pregnancy takes on the body might be problematic. It seems to be a well known fact that pregnant women have a lot of hormones rushing through their bodies which sometimes upsets the equilibrium. Perhaps a change in hormones will end up with me plummeting into another round of severe depression.

Finally, I read the other day that some research shows that antidepressants can harm your unborn baby. I did ask the doctor what would happen if I did conceive.  He seemed to think that the risks are pretty minimal and they might change my medication but that it's ok to continue with antidepressants despite being pregnant. Do I assume that the media is scaremongering or that my GP, whom I trust, is out of date with the latest research?

All of this seems to show that it isn't a good idea.  We'll review again in 12 months and hopefully it'll be a better time. Surely people with depression do conceive though? I guess in essence it's a moral mine field.  How poorly do you have to be before you're 'unable' to have a baby? Surely that can't work in either a medical or physical capacity. That'd be discrimination.

Anyone got any thoughts? Leave a comment.

sr x

No comments:

Post a Comment