Thursday 13 June 2013

Mortality is a very real issue

Yesterday I had an appointment at a nursing home to begin to think about doing some volunteering.  It was a stunning place especially for young adults with a genetic condition that limits their life.  The residents have to be 16 to come and live in the home and most will have died by the time they get to their mid twenties.

I so desperately want to volunteer at this place.  They are looking for volunteers who can come and befriend a few of the residents and enjoy a range of activities with them; whether it be watching a film, reading a book or having a go on the drums. 

It's so frustrating that I can't be of help. I need to consider my own fragile state.  The lady that gave me a tour said she can't guarantee that every visit will be a good one because residents may be agitated, in pain or just unwell.  While this is perfectly understandable and forgivable I need to be selfish in this decision.  It only takes a small hiccup to send me into a downward spiral.  Can I afford to put myself in a situation which could cause such a consequence?

Tough times ahead,

sr x

No comments:

Post a Comment