Saturday 18 May 2013

Musings about medication

When I was first signed off I thought I'd take a couple of weeks off work and go back in January feeling refreshed and ready to take on the world. That day in January never came. It's now May!

I was loathe to use medication to treat myself. It took a considerable amount of persuasion from the doctor to convince me to start taking it. He argued that I was ill due to a chemical imbalance and that I needed to fix it using what he prescribes.

I've taken a various assortment of tablets with varying doses. Finally I'm on tablets which I consider are the 'right' medication. Despite this, I do still wonder whether I want or need to take them.

I'm not keen on taking these tablets. I wonder whether there are other solutions to get better. I'm always being told that exercise helps as well as a good diet. Homoeopathic remedies are also popular but when asking the doctor he said that if they were more effective, that's what he'd prescribe.

I guess there's no answer to these questions. As long as I get better it shouldn't matter, right? Surely since the condition is so prevalent in today's society a reasonable assumption would be that anti-depressants aren't fixing the problem.  Maybe they're a sticking plaster to counter-act the tremendous pressure modern day living puts on our bodies and minds.

I am (was) a teacher. The lifestyle was pretty hectic. I'd regularly work 12 hour days, including weekends, and some children would plague my thoughts in the evening and throughout the night.  I don't need to go in to the ins and outs of being a teacher but almost certainly the job was a massive contribution towards my depression. Medication doesn't change the job. So why take medication to help myself to do an unsuitable job?!

sr x

No comments:

Post a Comment